With asbestos so prevalent in homes and work places across Australia, many want to save time and money by attempting to remove the problem themselves. While Australian law does allow for a small amount of asbestos to be removed by individuals, it is always recommended to get professional help, as there are serious consequences of asbestos if it is not removed and disposed of correctly.
Identifying the problem
Asbestos can be very difficult to identify. Although it is well known that homes and buildings constructed before 1990 are more likely to have this substance, it is hard to visually ascertain its presence. Asbestos typically looks like any other building material and usually requires scientific testing to correctly identify it.
Exposure to asbestos
Removing asbestos is a very delicate job. If disturbed in any way, it can be inhaled and cause diseases such as asbestosis and lung cancer. Most asbestos will not cause any harm if undisturbed but if you attempt to remove it and cause the fibres to become airborne, you could be exposing yourself and your family to serious harm.
Asbestos must be disposed of at the appropriate waste management location. It also needs to be transported correctly to ensure safety. This can be difficult and time consuming for an unlicensed individual.
The importance of professional help
Removing asbestos yourself can be time consuming, costly and dangerous. A qualified professional has the skills and experience to remove asbestos in an efficient and safe way. All asbestos removers must have a license to carry out their work, ensuring they will do the job right.
For more information about asbestos removal or to discuss the benefits of professional help in more detail, talk to national firm, Asbestos Removals Australia. Their team have the qualifications and skills to effectively and safely remove asbestos from homes and offices – so you don’t have to!